The New York Times is seeking an experienced UX Designer to join a new team charged with discovering ways 5G, the next generation of wireless technology, will shape the way we do journalism in 2019 and beyond.
You will be part of a team of engineers, designers, and producers, who will work closely with our newsroom and other departments in the ideation and execution of experiments using 5G. You will synthesize findings into white papers and presentations to be shared across the industry. Successful experiments may become products for ongoing newsroom use.
The team may explore:
- New formats for experiencing news
- Developing efficiencies for field reporters and the newsroom
- Discovering new opportunities for reporting and newsgathering
- Improvement of systems and operations within The Times
Designers on the 5G exploration team will work to uncover, define, and address unmet newsroom and user needs; develop and test hypotheses about the way the next generation of wireless technology will impact media, and keep our team’s design process iterative and agile. Candidates should be technically curious and excited to experiment. They should be comfortable executing projects by themselves and enjoy collaboration with a larger team.
Ideal candidates will have experience prototyping projects that have explored one of the following: VR or AR storytelling, interactive data journalism, streaming video environments, photo or video annotation.
Candidates should have a portfolio of creative executions that utilize cutting-edge technologies. Domestic travel is required as certain field experiments may take place in 5G test markets or at news events The New York Times covers.
What you’ll do
- Conduct user research in order to define challenge and opportunity areas for the 5G exploration team
- Cultivate a deep understanding of your users and their behaviors through testing and learning. Be the voice of the user in meetings.
- Develop visual frameworks, interaction flows, mockups, and quick prototypes as well as polished visual design
- Collaborate with your team to turn forward-looking concepts into production-ready reality
- Contribute creative and technical solutions to projects
- Research and surface new opportunities for exploration to your team and the newsroom
- Synthesize learnings from Projects you work on in blog posts and white papers
- Incorporate regular project feedback from key stakeholders in the newsroom
- Portfolio of personal and professional work
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience seeing new product creation from start to finish
- Experience working on cross-functional teams
- Excellent listening skills and an understanding of human-centered design practice
- Strong mobile UX skills
- Experience designing editorial content
- Easygoing attitude, calm under pressure, and personable
- Exceptional organization and attention to detail
- Excellent spoken and written communication
- A real passion for The New York Times’s mission
This is a temporary position that is expected to last about 12 months.
At The Times, technology permeates every aspect of our business, from our thought-provoking coverage of technological trends to the digital-first transformation of our own business to the changing world of our readers. We’re building a new team to explore the new opportunities 5G may provide media organizations over the next 12-18 months.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply
To apply for this job please visit nytimes.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.